Saturday, May 23, 2026
84.0°F

Two suspects in custody for 2021 Moses Lake homicide

by NANCE BESTON
Staff Writer | May 23, 2026 3:12 PM

MOSES LAKE — Grant County Sheriff’s Office has two suspects in custody related to the 2021 homicide of Kristopher Vincent, 24, of Moses Lake. Vincent was found dead with shotgun wounds to the torso and extremities May 26, 2021, on Airway Drive, near Cochran Road in Moses Lake.  

“The Major Crimes Unit maintained a strong awareness that someday we would find the key to help solve this case. It took just short of five years, but that tip finally came in and resulted in the arrests,” GCSO Public Information Officer Kyle Foreman said. “We hope that this will help Kristopher's family better understand what happened, and we continue to wish them peace.”  

The first suspect, Melquides Manuel Benavidas, 20, of Moses Lake was arrested by Moses Lake Police Department Friday for investigation of first-degree murder and drive-by shooting. As of Saturday afternoon, Benavidas is lodged in the Grant County Jail with a bail of $1 million.  

Benavidas has a court trial set for Sept. 23 for an unrelated crime of second-degree assault and first-degree unlawful possession of a firearm. He has been previously convicted for second-degree assault – substantial bodily harm, third-degree assault – domestic violence and tampering with a witness – domestic violence, along with crimes as a juvenile.  

The second suspect, Gilberto Sanches Medina, 20, of Mattawa, was served an arrest warrant Saturday morning at the Grant County Jail for investigation of first-degree murder and drive-by shooting. He was in jail for unrelated crimes of two counts of drive-by shooting, first-degree murder and participation in a prison riot. Sanchez Medina has a bail of $1 million as of Saturday afternoon.  

Sanchez Medina has court trials set for Sept. 16, for unrelated crimes of participation in a prison riot, drive-by shooting and first-degree murder. He has two felony convictions in Lewis County. No further information was available to the Columbia Basin Herald at the time of press on these two previous convictions.  

According to GCSO investigators, Benavidez was driving a vehicle carrying Sanches Medina, who was armed with a shotgun. They passed Vincent as he was walking in the early hours of May 26, 2021, on Airway Drive NE, when the decision was made to rob Vincent. The car turned around and stopped next to Vincent.  

Sanchez Medina then allegedly shot Vincent, according to GCSO. Both suspects were 15 when the incident happened.  

Vincent’s body was discovered hours after the incident by a passing motorist, according to GCSO.  

The case had remained active but had been stalled due to lack of leads, according to GCSO. New information was recently shared with investigators, resulting in the arrests of Benavidas and Sanchez Medina.  

“Our hearts remain with Mr. Vincent’s family as they continue to endure this unimaginable loss,” Grant County Prosecuting Attorney Brandon Guernsey said in a statement.  

Guernsey said he is grateful to see the arrests and looks forward to seeking justice for Vincent.