Tuesday, May 19, 2026
69.0°F

Quincy vandalism incidents under investigation

by CHERYL SCHWEIZER
Staff Writer | May 19, 2026 6:03 PM

QUINCY — While the Quincy Police Department has identified some persons of interest in a recent rash of graffiti incidents in the city, they’re still under investigation. Captain Jorge Trujillo said the number of incidents has declined over the last two weeks. 

“A couple of weeks ago, we had 27 separate graffiti incidents. Last week we had two,” Trujillo said Tuesday. “This week we haven’t had any yet.” 

The investigation is ongoing, Trujuillo said, but QPD officers have identified a person of interest and traced other suspects as well. While the incidents have been spread around town, they’ve been concentrated in one area. 

“Most of it was in the northeast section of town,” Trujillo said.  

 The QPD has asked the Quincy City Council to allow establishment of a reward fund for information about graffiti crimes. The request went before the council Tuesday night, after the Columbia Basin Herald press time.  

Trujillo said whether or not a reward fund helps solve the current rash of graffiti cases, it still would be helpful for the next time. 

“It will happen again, as sad as it sounds,” he said. “That’s how it is with graffiti.”  

All graffiti in the current rash of cases has been gang-related, he said. Because gangs travel and recruit regionally, some of the perpetrators may have come from out of town.  

“They’re trying to recruit in other towns,” he said. 

Typically, gangs that target Quincy for recruitment have their origin in Yakima and the Tri-Cities, Trujillo said. 

QPD purchased mobile cameras that have been installed around town and can be moved as necessary. Quincy officers have released pictures of some suspects.  

“We’ll get them. They’ll go to jail,” Trujillo said.