Let's go fishin': What you need to know about licenses
| March 25, 2022 1:00 AM
MOSES LAKE — With the arrival of spring, it’s time to get out your pole and net, clean off that boat and get ready to go fishing.
According to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, state licenses to catch fish or collect shellfish are needed to catch anything except common carp, crawfish or bullfrogs or the collection of relic shells. In addition, licenses to catch salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, halibut or Puget Sound Dungeness crab will also include a catch record to track your harvest, and must be returned to the department even if you don’t catch anything, according to WDFW’s website.
Licenses can be purchased online at the department’s website (http://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov; you must create an account), by calling the department at 360-902-2464, or by visiting a fishing license dealer.
Freshwater licenses for Washington residents aged 16-69 are $29.50, $7.50 for seniors and $84.50 for non-residents. Licenses are good for the year. For more details on the cost of fishing licenses, check out the WDFW website http://wdfw.wa.gov/licenses/fishing/types-fees.
In Adams County, you can buy fishing licenses at the following retailers:
- Ritzville Hardware, 108 W. First Avenue, Ritzville, 509-659-0381
- The New Mar Don Resort, 8198 Highway 262 SE, Othello, 509-346-2651
- Walmart, 1860 E. Main Street, Othello, 509-488-9295
In Grant County, you can buy a Washington state fishing license at the following locations:
- Ace Hardware, 716 13th Avenue SW, Quincy, 509-787-0480
- Banks Lake Lodge, 109 N. 6th Street, Coulee City, 509-632-5596
- Big 5 Sporting Goods, 815 N. Stratford Road, Moses Lake, 509-764-0337
- Big Wally’s, 9944 Hwy 2 E, Coulee City, 509-632-5504
- Buck N Up, 332 Main Avenue E, Soap Lake, 509-431-4553
- Coulee Playland Resort, 401 Coulee Boulevard E, Electric City, 509-633-2671
- Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife, Region 2 Office, 1550 Alder Street NW, Ephrata, 509-754-4624
- Desert Aire Grocery, 122 Frontier Way SW, Mattawa, 503-932-4091
- Desert Aire Mini Mart, 103 Thunderbird Way S, Mattawa, 509-932-4300
- Hale’s Farm and Feed, 1510 Basin Street, Ephrata, 509-398-8554
- Main Street Hardware, 113 S. Main Avenue, Warden, 509-349-9906
- Quincy Hardware and Lumber, 23 E Street SE, Quincy, 509-787-0800
- Sportman’s Warehouse, 1020 N. Stratford Road, Moses Lake, 509-761-7200
- Walmart, 1005 N. Stratford Road, Moses Lake, 509-765-8979
- Walmart, 1399 Nat Washington Way, Ephrata, 509-754-8837