Thursday, January 21, 2021

Care centers, shelters may be eligible for federal food aid

Staff Report | November 25, 2020 1:00 AM

Qualifying child care centers, emergency shelters, and adult care centers in Washington state are encouraged to participate in the federal Child and Adult Care Food Program, which reimburses some costs associated with feeding nutritious meals to children and adults.

Organizations that can apply include nonresidential licensed public or private nonprofit child care centers or family day care homes, some child care centers or institutions that provide care to school-age children, and nonprofit emergency shelters that provide temporary residential facilities to children.

In addition, for-profit child care institutions in which at least 25% of children served are low-income, qualifying public or nonprofit adult centers, and for-profit adult centers that receive compensation under Title XIX of the Social Security Act for at least 25% of their enrolled adults, can also apply for assistance.

The CACFP reimburses meals at established rates based on school building data, family income, or federal assistance received in households where enrolled children and adults reside, according to a press release from the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction.

Care centers and institutions may apply for the program or get more information by emailing OSPI’s Community Nutrition Program at, or by mailing Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, P.O. Box 47200, Olympia, Washington 98504–7200.